Responds to select medical and traumatic emergencies; along with responding to select hospitals, clinics, and nursing homes to provide inter-facility transfers.
Provides emergency medical care at the scene, en route to the hospital and during transportation from facility-to-facility and emergency medical care as appropriate to the practice of the registered paramedic. Delivers the patient to the nearest most appropriate medical facility. Adheres to Company, local, regional, and state guidelines regarding patient care.
Performs indicated Advanced Life Support (ALS) procedures as per the appropriate Regional Protocols under the direction and supervision of the Medical Control Physician, through standing orders, radio, or telephone communications.
Performs so other duties related to emergency and non-emergency medical care and development of the emergency medical system and/or Patriot Ambulance.
- Currently registered as an EMT/Paramedic by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Department of Public Health (DPH), and Office of Emergency Medical Services (OEMS).
- High degree of personal integrity and responsibility.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision, using good judgment and common sense with a thorough understanding of the principles of emergency medical care at the paramedic level.
- Ability to work efficiently and interact in a constructive and professional manner with other employees, a partner, public safety personnel, medical staff, and other emergency medical service members.
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally with patients, customers, clients, family members, bystanders, and the general public in such a manner as to reflect credibly on Patriot Ambulance, Inc.
- Demonstrates a level of skill and ability consistent with the provision of high quality patient care.
- The ability to perform effectively as team leader in patient care situations.
- The ability to perform effectively in carrying out public relations and community education functions and the ability to deal effectively with members of the medical community and general public in promoting Patriot Ambulance, Inc.
- The ability to lift and maneuver 150 pounds with assistance and without difficulty.
- The ability to walk up and down stairs without difficulty and the ability to lift and carry 150 pounds up and down two flights of stairs with assistance and without difficulty.
- The ability to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- The ability to walk a distance of one quarter of a mile without difficulty and without affecting the immediate performance of job-related duties.
Required Current Certifications:
- CPR – Basic Life Support (BLS) by the American Heart Association (AHA) or the American Red Cross.
- Current certification as an Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ALS) Provider by the AHA.
- Valid Massachusetts OEMS Paramedic credentialing
- Current Motor Vehicle Operator’s License.
a) Manager for all administrative matters.
b) Manager and/or Field Supervisors for all operational matters.
c) General Manager or Manager of Clinical Services for all matters related to ALS issues including: ALS equipment and scheduling, ALS patient care, ALS questions or concerns, and etc.
d) Manager, and/or Training Coordinator for all matters regarding professional and/or clinical care and/or quality.
e) Medical Control Physicians and Nursing personnel, for consultation, supervision and direction of the provision of emergency medical care in a given situation to an individual patient(s).
f) Regional Medical Director for all patient care rendered while functioning as a paramedic in the Company’s operative regions.
- Demonstrates and ensures knowledge, understanding and compliance of Patriot Ambulance policies and procedures.
- Ensures that the vehicle and equipment is ready for use at the beginning of the shift and after every call. This includes: appropriate cleaning and disinfecting of the interior and exterior of the vehicle; appropriate cleaning and disinfecting of equipment; inspecting; restocking, and completing daily checklists of the vehicle and equipment; and performing routine maintenance.
- Performs daily inspections of their base and/or station for cleanliness. Then performs the appropriate housekeeping duties to ensure their living quarters are clean, free from clutter and sanitary at all times.
- Responds to emergencies and non-emergencies using appropriate care and caution in accordance with Massachusetts law, EMS regulations, Company policy, and the principles of safe emergency vehicle operation. As per Patriot Ambulance Inc.’s policy always wears their seat belt when in a Company vehicle.
- Renders emergency and non-emergency medical care in accordance with the rules, regulations, protocols, policies, and procedures of Patriot Ambulance, Inc., the State of Massachusetts, DPH/OEMS, and the Regional Office of OEMS, consistent with good judgment and the provision of high quality medical care. Appropriately and safely delivers the patient to the nearest most appropriate medical facility.
- Acts at all times in the best interests of high quality patient care, in the best interest of the patient, and in such a manner to reflect credibly on Patriot Ambulance, Inc. and the professional reputation of the EMT/Paramedic.
- Acts at all times with his/her personal safety in mind, as well as the safety of his/her partner, the patient, other EMS personnel, bystanders, and any other public safety personnel present.
- Accompanies ALS and BLS patients to their destination, continuing to provide appropriate care and patient advocacy until the responsibility for the patient has been transferred to an appropriate medical professional and a report has been given.
- Completes all appropriate documentation and record keeping for every assignment.
- Obtains complete billing information for all clients transported.
- Adheres to Universal Precautions when dealing with patient contacts. Is familiar with and practices the Infection Control policies and procedures of Patriot Ambulance, Inc.
- When necessary and appropriate, acts as a team leader in dealing with emergency and non-emergency situations, directing and supervising other members of the emergency medical care team.
- Performs duties related to public relations and community education programs sponsored by Patriot Ambulance, Inc.
- Performs duties related to the continuing improvement and development of Patriot Ambulance, Inc. and the local EMS system.
- Accepts responsibility for recertification as an EMT/Paramedic by DPH/OEMS. Completes appropriate continuing education courses in a timely fashion along with biannual recertification in BLS Healthcare Provider – CPR and biannual recertification in ALS. Files the appropriate paperwork with DPH/OEMS to ensure timely recertification.
- Provides Patriot Ambulance, Inc. with a current copy of their EMT/Paramedic certification, CPR card, ACLS card, and Motor Vehicle Driver’s License. Completes training in all Company, state and federal mandates.
- Reports to assigned shifts in proper uniform and on time unless the proper notification has been made. Remains on-duty and in proper uniform until properly relieved.
- Documents elements of ALS triage when turning over care of documentation to lesser level of training, including partners.
- Co-signs all patient care forms for completeness.
- Acts as an EMT and/or EMT-P preceptor when called upon by management. Completes all documentation/evaluation on behalf of student interns.
- Allows and is willing to accommodate third riders for orientation and/or educational purposes. Performs other duties as directed by management.
- At all times sets an example of professionalism and leadership for others to follow. Places patient care excellence and safety above all else.